Booking a Flight with Your Cat on WestJet
When it comes to traveling with your feline friend, planning ahead is key. WestJet is a pet-friendly airline that allows you to bring your cat along on your journey. Here’s everything you need to know about booking a flight with your cat on WestJet.
- Check WestJet’s Pet Travel Policy: Before you start booking your flight, it’s essential to familiarize yourself with WestJet’s pet travel policy. You’ll find all the necessary information regarding pet restrictions, carrier requirements, and fees. Ensure that your cat meets all the airline’s guidelines.
- Make a Reservation: Once you have all the information you need, it’s time to make a reservation. When booking your flight, inform the WestJet representative that you will be traveling with a cat. They will guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have. Remember to mention if your cat will be traveling in the cabin or as checked baggage.
- Choose the Right Cabin Option: WestJet offers two cabin options for pet travel: in-cabin and checked baggage. In-cabin is ideal for small cats that can comfortably fit in a carrier under the seat in front of you. If your cat is too big for in-cabin travel, you can opt for checked baggage. Ensure that you have a sturdy and properly ventilated carrier that meets the airline’s requirements.
- Prep Your Cat’s Carrier: To make the journey as comfortable as possible for your furry friend, prepare their carrier in advance. Place a soft blanket or towel inside for added comfort. Familiarize your cat with the carrier by leaving it open at home and encouraging them to explore and rest inside. This will help reduce anxiety during travel.
- Arrive Early: On the day of your flight, make sure to arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. This will give you ample time to go through security checks and other necessary procedures. Arriving early will also give you a chance to acclimate your cat to the new surroundings and ensure they feel secure and calm before the flight.
Remember, traveling with your cat can be an exciting adventure, but it requires careful planning. Booking a flight with WestJet ensures that your furry companion can join you on your travels. By following these steps, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’ve prepared well for the journey ahead.
Preparing Your Cat for the Journey
As a cat lover, you understand that ensuring your furry friend’s comfort during the journey is crucial. Here are some tips to help you prepare your cat for a smooth and stress-free travel experience on WestJet:
- Start with a familiar carrier: Introduce your cat to the carrier well in advance of the trip. Allow them to explore it, sleep in it, and even play in it. This will help them associate the carrier with comfort and security.
- Make it cozy: Line the carrier with a soft blanket or bedding that your cat is familiar with. This will provide them with a comfy spot to relax during the journey. Don’t forget to include a few of their favorite toys or treats to keep them entertained.
- Ensure proper ventilation: Make sure the carrier has sufficient ventilation to keep your cat comfortable. This will help them breathe easily and regulate their body temperature.
- Secure the carrier: Ensure that the carrier is securely fastened in your vehicle or the cabin of the aircraft. This will prevent any accidents or injuries during the journey.
- Keep them calm: Use pheromone sprays or calming products designed for cats to help reduce anxiety during travel. You can also consider consulting with your vet about using mild sedatives if your cat tends to get highly stressed during journeys.
- Avoid heavy meals: Feed your cat a light meal a few hours before the journey. This will prevent any discomfort or potential accidents during travel. However, make sure to provide water to keep them hydrated.
- Keep identification handy: Make sure your cat is wearing a collar with an ID tag containing your contact information. Additionally, carry their medical records and a recent photograph in case of any unforeseen circumstances.
What to Pack for Your Cat’s Trip
When it comes to traveling with your beloved feline on WestJet, it’s important to make sure you’re well-prepared. Here are some essentials to pack for your cat’s trip:
- Identification: Make sure your cat is wearing a secure collar with an ID tag that includes your contact information. In case they wander off or get separated from you, this will help ensure a safe reunion.
- Health records: Bring along your cat’s up-to-date health records, including vaccination certificates. Some airlines, including WestJet, may require these documents for travel. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
- Travel carrier: Opt for a sturdy and well-ventilated carrier that meets WestJet’s specifications. Your cat should be able to stand, sit, and turn around comfortably inside. Familiarize your cat with the carrier before the trip by introducing them to it gradually with positive reinforcement.
- Bedding and toys: Bring along your cat’s favorite blanket or bedding to provide a sense of familiarity and comfort during the journey. Don’t forget to pack a few toys as well to keep your furry friend entertained while in transit.
- Food and water: Pack enough food and treats to last the duration of the trip, plus a little extra in case of delays. Remember to bring a collapsible water bowl and a supply of fresh water to keep your cat hydrated while traveling.
- Comforting items: To help soothe your cat’s nerves, consider including items that can provide a calming effect. Pheromone sprays or wipes designed specifically for cats are available and can be applied to the carrier to help reduce anxiety.
- Medications (if needed): If your cat requires any medications, ensure you have enough for the entire journey. It’s a good idea to consult with your veterinarian beforehand and inquire about sedatives if your cat tends to get anxious during travel.
Remember, your cat’s safety and comfort should always be your top priority when traveling. By packing these essentials, you can help ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey for both you and your feline companion.
Arriving at the Airport with Your Cat
Once you’ve taken care of all the preparations at home, it’s time to head to the airport with your feline friend. Here are a few things to keep in mind when arriving at the airport with your cat:
1. Arrive Early: Give yourself plenty of time to navigate through the airport with your cat. It’s a good idea to check with WestJet about their recommended arrival time for passengers traveling with pets.
2. Check-in: When you arrive at the airport, proceed to the WestJet check-in counter. Let the staff know that you are traveling with a cat. They will guide you through the check-in process and provide you with any necessary instructions.
3. Security Screening: At the security checkpoint, you will be required to take your cat out of the carrier and carry them through the metal detector while the carrier goes through the X-ray machine. Make sure to have a harness or leash handy to secure your cat safely during this process.
4. Stay Calm: Remember, cats are sensitive creatures, and the airport environment can be overwhelming. Talk soothingly to your cat and provide reassurance throughout the check-in and security screening process. Keep your own anxiety levels down to help keep your cat calm.
5. Be Prepared for Questions: It’s normal for fellow passengers or airport staff to be curious about your cat. Be prepared to answer questions about your cat’s breed, age, or any other interesting details. Sharing stories about your furry companion can be a great way to spread joy!
6. Follow Instructions: Always follow the instructions provided by WestJet staff and security personnel. They are there to ensure the safety and comfort of all passengers, including your cat.
Boarding the Plane with Your Cat
When it’s time to board the plane with your furry friend, there are a few important things to keep in mind. Here are some tips to make the process smoother for both you and your cat:
1. Follow WestJet’s Guidelines: Familiarize yourself with WestJet’s specific guidelines for traveling with pets. Make sure you’re aware of the regulations and requirements to ensure a hassle-free experience.
2. Arrive Early: Arriving at the airport early will give you enough time to go through the necessary procedures and reduce any last-minute stress. You don’t want to feel rushed or make your cat anxious.
3. Check-in at the WestJet Counter: Make your way to the WestJet counter to check-in. The staff will guide you through the process and ensure that you have all the necessary documents readily available.
4. Security Screening: You and your cat will both need to go through security screening. Follow the instructions given by the security personnel and make sure to keep your cat calm and comfortable throughout this process.
5. Stay Calm: Cats are highly perceptive and can sense if you’re feeling anxious or stressed. Stay calm and composed during the boarding process. Your relaxed energy will help keep your cat at ease.
6. Be Prepared for Questions: Security personnel or WestJet staff may ask you a few questions regarding your cat’s travel arrangements or paperwork. Be prepared to answer these questions to avoid any delays or complications.
7. Follow WestJet Staff Instructions: Listen carefully to the instructions given by WestJet staff and follow them accordingly. They are there to ensure the safety and comfort of both you and your cat.
Remember, traveling with your cat can be a wonderful experience. By following these tips, you can make the boarding process a breeze and create a stress-free journey for your feline friend.
In-Flight Tips for Traveling with Your Cat
When it comes to flying with your beloved feline friend, the in-flight experience can be an important aspect of their journey. To ensure a smooth and comfortable trip for both you and your cat, here are some essential in-flight tips to keep in mind:
- Stay calm and reassured: Cats can sense your emotions, so it’s crucial to remain calm and composed throughout the flight. This will help keep your furry companion at ease and reduce their stress levels.
- Avoid opening the carrier: Once you’re on the plane, it’s essential to keep your cat securely in their carrier at all times. Opening the carrier during the flight can be dangerous, as it may cause your cat to escape or become anxious.
- Ensure proper ventilation: Make sure the carrier has sufficient airflow to keep your cat comfortable. Good ventilation is essential, especially during longer flights.
- Keep your cat hydrated: Provide your cat with ample water before the flight to keep them hydrated. It’s important to note that most airlines do not allow you to open the carrier during the flight to give your cat water, so it’s best to ensure they are well-hydrated before boarding.
- Minimize noise and distractions: To help your cat relax during the flight, minimize excessive noise and distractions. Consider bringing along their favorite blanket or toy to provide comfort and familiarity.
Remember, the safety and comfort of your cat should always be the top priority when traveling. By following these in-flight tips, you can help ensure a pleasant and stress-free experience for both you and your feline friend.
Now that you know the essential in-flight tips, let’s move on to the next section where we’ll discuss essential tips for your cat’s arrival at the airport.
Now that you have all the necessary information, you are ready to embark on a wonderful journey with your feline companion on WestJet. By familiarizing yourself with WestJet’s pet travel policy and making a reservation, you can ensure a smooth boarding process. Remember to choose the cabin option that suits your cat’s needs and prepare their carrier for a comfortable journey. Introduce them to the carrier in advance, make it cozy with familiar bedding and toys, and ensure proper ventilation.
During the flight, stay calm and avoid opening the carrier. Keep your cat hydrated and minimize noise and distractions. By following these in-flight tips, you can make the trip as comfortable as possible for both you and your cat.
Remember to pack all the necessary items, including identification, health records, a travel carrier, bedding and toys, food and water, comforting items, and any medications if needed. Arrive at the airport early, check in at the WestJet counter, and go through security screening calmly. Be prepared for questions and follow instructions from WestJet staff and security personnel.
Traveling with your cat can be a rewarding experience, and with these tips, you can ensure their safety and comfort throughout the journey. Happy travels!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I book a flight for my cat on WestJet?
A: To fly with your cat on WestJet, familiarize yourself with their pet travel policy and then make a reservation with the airline.
Q: What are the cabin options for pets on WestJet?
A: WestJet offers two cabin options for pet travel: the main cabin and the premium cabin.
Q: How do I prepare my cat’s carrier for the journey?
A: Prepare your cat’s carrier by introducing them to it in advance, making it cozy with familiar bedding and toys, ensuring proper ventilation, and securing the carrier for a comfortable journey.
Q: What should I pack for my cat’s trip?
A: Pack identification, health records, a travel carrier, bedding and toys, food and water, comforting items, and any necessary medications for your cat’s trip.
Q: What tips should I follow when arriving at the airport with my cat?
A: Arrive early, check in at the WestJet counter, go through security screening, stay calm, be prepared for questions, and follow instructions from WestJet staff and security personnel.
Q: How can I ensure a smooth in-flight experience for my cat?
A: During the flight, stay calm, avoid opening the carrier, ensure proper ventilation, keep your cat hydrated, and minimize noise and distractions to ensure a comfortable trip.